2014 Gates Annual Letter: Myths About Foreign Aid
Brilliant essay from Bill & Melinda Gates, on myths about poverty and foreign aid: 3 Myths That Block Progress For The Poor
It’s inspirational even, just seeing what progress has and is being made. Lots of good stuff on the impact of aid. But for me the real clincher was Melinda Gates on population and birth control (direct link):
Anxiety about the size of the world population has a dangerous tendency to override concern for the human beings who make up that population.
Saving lives doesn’t lead to overpopulation. In fact, it’s quite the opposite. Creating societies where people enjoy basic health, relative prosperity, fundamental equality, and access to contraceptives is the only way to secure a sustainable world. We will build a better future for everyone by giving people the freedom and the power to build a better future for themselves and their families.
- Sucking it Up (23Oct2023)
In which white dudes...
- 2014 Gates Annual Letter: Myths About Foreign Aid (25Jan2014)
- Critiquing Reality TV (13Aug2011)
- Le Flâneur (03Apr2011)
- ‘Sucker Punch’ and the Decline of Strong Woman Action Heroines (29Mar2011)
- On Facebook and Messaging (19Nov2010)
- Geek Luddites and the New Computing (01Nov2010)
- Women in Rock and popular media (18Sep2010)
- In Defense of Having Children (11Aug2010)
- We’re just part of the world, breaking down, or being torn down (20Mar2010)
- This is one reason so many long-time Unix nerds have found themselves so happy using Mac OS X (24Apr2007)
- now the banks are beating the scammers at their own game (21Jul2004)
- Your fetish with the Semantic Web is just an excuse not to organise your thoughts hierarchicly, as God intended (26Feb2004)